“From inside them comes a drink of varying colors, containing healing for humanity. There is certainly a sign in that for people who reflect.”
(Quran Surat an-Nahl: 69)
The making of Honey is in itself a Miracle from God. Knowing the method, the process & the effort the Bees put in to make this astonishing formula, can’t help but make you marvel and think deeply about Allah swt and His amazing signs. Every time you take a bite of it on your toast or a spoon in your drink, it’s sure to put you in that trance.
How is Honey Made?
The main ingredient of pure honey is the nectar collected by bees from flowers and fruit buds. Bees by the will of Allah swt the Most Great can miraculously turn this nectar into honey. The pollen in the other hand has no effect on the actual production of the honey, it is only used by the bees to collect their required amount of protein that they should need.
It takes 900 bees working an entire day to collect half a kilogram of raw nectar, only part of which can be turned into honey. The bees collect nectar from the flowers and then swallow it, and it’s during this process of swallowing that it undergoes a chemical change in it’s stomach. It then becomes a heavy, sugary liquid that is rich in vitamins & minerals. The bees later continue to place it into the honeycomb cells before sealing it with a wax cover. The honey acquires its distinctive sweet taste and appropriate consistency during it’s time in the comb, but this remarkable formation could’t be possible with out the constant effort & hard work that the bees make creating a special air-conditioning needed for the process. An amazing fact to ponder on is that the aroma & oils in the flowers that the nectar was collected from, is the same aroma, oils & colour that give the honey its appearance & scent, sobhan Allah.
Using Honey to Cure
The prophet Muhammad (SAAWS) said: ‘Honey is a remedy for every illness and the Qur’an is a remedy for all illness of the mind, therefore I recommend to you both remedies, the Qur’an and honey.’ (Bukhari)
Some Scientifically proven benefits of Honey include:
1. Prevents cancer and heart disease - Honey contains flavonoids, antioxidants which help reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease.
2. Reduces ulcers and other gastrointestinal disorders - Recent research shows that honey treatment may help disorders such as ulcers and bacterial gastroenteritis.
3. Contains anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-fungal elements - All honey is antibacterial because the bees add an enzyme that makes hydrogen peroxide.
4. Increases athletic performance - Recent studies have shown that Honey is superior in maintaining glycogen levels and improving recovery time than other sweeteners. (Particularly useful for Athletes)
5. Reduces cough and throat irritation - Honey is already widely known to be used in many Cough & throat medicines, particularly buckwheat honey, because of its high positive soothing effects of relief.
6. Balances the 5 elements - Honey has been used in ayurvedic medicine in India for at least 4000 years and is considered to affect all three of the body’s primitive material imbalances positively. It is also said to be useful in improving eyesight, weight loss, curing impotence and premature ejaculation, urinary tract disorders, bronchial asthma, diarrhea, and nausea.
7. Blood sugar regulation - Even though honey contains simple sugars, it is NOT the same as white sugar or artificial sweeteners. Its exact combination of fructose and glucose actually helps the body regulate blood sugar levels. Some honeys have a low hypoglycemic index, so they don’t jolt your blood sugar.
8. Heal wounds and burns - External application of honey has been shown to be just as effective as conventional treatment with silver sulfadiazene. It is said that the drying effect of the simple sugars and honey’s anti-bacterial nature combine to create this effect.
9. Probiotic - Some varieties of honey possess large amounts of friendly bacteria. This includes up to 6 species of lactobacilli and 4 species of bifidobacteria. This may explain many of the “mysterious therapeutic properties of honey.”
10. Beautiful skin - Honey is used for many facial masks both in supermarket products and in beauty salons. Its anti-bacterial qualities are particularly useful for the skin, and, when used with the other ingredients, can also be moisturizing and nourishing. Arab women have been using it on their skin for centuries along side olive oils!
Here is a short Youtube video summarizing the Surah Nahl (the Quranic verse on the bee) and additional hadith on honey: