This delicious salad can be served hot in winter or cold in summer, it serves as a side dish beside something meaty and is often complimented with marinated olives and homemade Moroccan bread.
When I'm dieting I can have a generous serving of this with a wholemeal pitta for lunch and it calculates to be less than 200 calories, at one point I was even enjoying it as a breakfast with olives and a mug of green tea and mint. A really tasty and satisfying healthy dish!
- 2 Large or 4-5 small Aubergines - peeled, washed and cut into cubes
- 1 bunch of parsley & Corianer - washed and chopped
- 1/2 cup of olive oil -
- 2 tsp of paprika -
- 2 tsp of cumin -
- 1 tsp of turmeric - (optional)
- 2 chopped green chillies - (only if you like it, this is optional)
- 8 cloves of garlic - peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp of coarse salt - (to taste)
- 3 medium sized Tomatoes - peeled and chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon -
- 1 tblsp Moroccan Vinigar -
- Wash the aubergine well, peel or half peel them and then cut into small cubes.
- Place into a steamer and steam or boil in water until soft.
- Prepare the marinade by peeling and grating the garlic, Chop the coriander and parsley finely, then add to a bowl or even straight into a saucepan with olive oil before adding the spices.
- Put over a low heat and stir well for a few minutes before adding the chopped tomatoes and the lemon juice.
- Stir well and let cook for a few more minutes before adding your steamed or boiled aubergine cubes.
- Mix well and let simmer over a low heat until all the moisture has evaporated.
- Serve hot or cold garnished with freshly chopped parsley or cut lemon.
- This dish is traditionally served on the side as a salad, with olives and freshly baked Moroccan bread