This delicious roasted pepper and tomatoe salad is an old family favourite, it is usually served as a side dish and it can be eaten hot in winter or cold in summer.
I remember my dad introducing me to having it with a fried egg for breakfast, and i loved it straight away. I wasn't too keen on peppers as a kid, not due to flavour but because of the skin. Roasting the peppers and tomatoes and then allowing them to cool in a container or plastic bag makes it easy for you to peel the skin off before chopping small, so you can enjoy the taste without suffering the skin texture ;)
I grew up seeing the elders roasting it in the public ovens until charred, the sweet tasty aroma used to make it's way down the streets of Morocco leaving everyone longing for the taste. These days many choose to just roast them on the hob but personally I still prefer the traditional method of putting them in the oven.
- 2 lbs of Tomatoes -
- 1 lb of fresh green bell Peppers -
- 1/2 batch of Parsley - Washed & Chopped
- 1/2 batch of Coriander - Washed & Chopped
- 4-5 Garlic cloves -
- 2 tsp of paprika -
- 2 tsp of cumin -
- 1 tsp of turmeric - Optional
- 2 tsp of salt - To taste
- 1/2 small cup of olive oil -
- 1/2 fresh lemon (juice) -
- 1-2 tblsp Moroccan Vinigar -
- Roast the peppers and the tomatoes in a pre-heated oven under medium heat (this usually takes about 20-30mins turning them over a couple of times then finishing them off under a grill until the skin is loose and flaky.
- When done place inside a container or plastic bag to cool.
- Once they are cool, peel them & remove the seeds before chopping into small squares.
- Grate or mince the garlic, then wash and chop the parsley and coriander
- Add the olive oil into a cooking pot or stir frying wok followed by the herbs and spices
- (My paprika is slightly chilli so I don't add black pepper but if you like chilli you may want to add a couple of fresh green chillies at this point)
- Put under a low heat while giving it a good stir.
- Then add the lemon and vinegar followed by the chopped roasted peppers and tomatoes.
- Mix well and let cook for about 15mins or until moisture evaporates
- Serve however you please ;).