I find these to be a nice finger food for picnics or side dish to any main course. They are quick and fairly easy to make and can be altered to suit any family and household. These ones don't come out too chilli but still remain deliciously spicy. Arabs like their coriander and parsley and adding the vegetable mix gives it extra color in addition to extra crunch and taste. You will find that mixing plain flour with the gram flour softens the strong taste gram flour tends to have. Here I used fresh chopped carrots and peas but there are many variations. My family particularly like the chicken nibblets & spinage version, maybe because I tend to leave out the seeds and chilli in that variation ;) I don't know!
- 1 onion - thinly sliced
- 1 green chilly - chopped
- 1 large potato - cut into small cubes or thinely slice
- 1 cup mixed veg - of your choice (frozen or fresh)
- 1 tsp salt -
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric -
- 1/2 tsp curry powder -
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder -
- 1 handful fresh chopped coriander & parsly -
- 1/2 tsp crushed red chilli - (or Paprica, if you don't want it too chilli)
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds -
- 1/4 tsp onion seed -
- 1/2 cup self raising flour -
- 1 cup gram flour - maybe more if needed
- 1 medium egg -
- 1/2 cup water - for mixing (or maybe more if needed)
- chop 1 onion, 1 or 2 green chillies, handful of fresh coriander, parsley & 1 large potato into small cubes
- Put them into a mixing bowl then add 1 cup of mixed veg of your choice to the mix
- Add the 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, and 1/4 tsp onion seeds the the bowl
- Mix the spices in with 1/2 cup self raising flour, 1 cup gram flour
- Then add about 1/2 cup cold water mixed with 1 egg before adding to the flour bowl & mix it all up really well into a smooth batter (I do this with my hands but you can use a whisk or mixer if you prefer).
- Once your happy with your batter you add it to the rest of your chopped ingredients and thoroughly mix together.
Then immediately deep fry heaped table spoon portions of the mixture until crispy & golden in color (I find it easier & less messy to pick up a small portion with my hand while putting to fry)
Serve hot and enjoy with your favorite dip.